Sunday 22 March 2015

Tutorial 8: DIY Summer Tank Top

It may be spring but I'm dreaming of summer!

Working with fabric and sewing something is so much fun but sometimes can get aggravating if you are still getting the hand of it. Reviving an old favourite t-shirt or tank top can be a breeze. There are plenty on "no sew" techniques to making a perfect top for the nice weather. It's been too long and cold a winter here in Ontario for my liking. It just turned to spring and I'm anxiously waiting the heat and thinking about ways to beat it. I really enjoyed doing my Loop Swoop & Pull T-Shirt DIY and decided I would try my luck at it one more time. You can find the tutorial I used here!

Difficulty: 2 out of 5
Duration: 30 mins

Materials

  • scissors
  • oversized tank top
  • ruler
  • chalk
Here are my results!

Step 1. Decide how high you want your shirt to be cut. I'd suggest trying it on and making a mark with chalk or soap to keep your fabric strips aligned


Step 2. Cut off the hem at the bottom of the shirt


Step 3. Measure pieces 1/2" or 1" away from one another so you have an even number to pieces



Step 4. Knot neighbouring strands of fabric 

macrame, t-shirt, no sew, summer clothes

Final Result!

ripped, t-shirt, tank top, summer, breezy

Lessons Learned/Tips:
  • Use a tank top that at least comes 6 inches below your belly button
  • Great for wearing with crop tops!
  • Stiffer fabric would show knot details better and keep its shape


No comments:

Post a Comment